This dish is originally from Sichuan province, it takes about 2.5 hours to cook but worth the waiting. It’s spicy and very tasty. The jelly texture can only be achieved with long cooking. Furthermore, the longer the wait, the less fatty it is. 🙂
- 1.5 lbs of pork feet chopped at store (you won’t be able to chop them at home)
- 1 inch of ginger
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 5-6 dry chili （干辣椒）
- 10 chinese pepper （花椒）
- rock candy （冰糖）or 2 tbsp of sugar
- chinese spices bag (卤包） or a mix of cumin, anise, cloves and cinnamon.
- cooking wine
- soy sauce
- spicy sauce (豆瓣酱）
- chopped green onions
left upper corner: dry chili, right upper corner: chinese peppers
below is rock candy and spicy bag
from left to right: cooking wine, soy sauce and spicy sauce
1. Bring to oil the pork feet with ginger
2. Once it has broiled for 2 min, drain it.
3. Heat the oil and add the rock candy or sugar
4. Once the candy is dissolved
add pork feet
5. Mix until pork feet take brown color
6. Add oil to the pan with ginger, garlic, dry chili and chinese peppers until they release the fragrant, 1-2 min
7. Add the spicy sauce, cooking wine and sauce soy
8. Add the pork feet and add enough water to cover it
9. Cook at medium to low for 2 hours.
10. Add green onions and more salt if needed before serving.