This is a long-time-ago requested recipe. I finally took pics when I made it last weekend. 🙂
Chinese eggplant stew 茄子煲
- 2 chinese eggplants*
- 4 oz. sliced pork
- green onion chopped, 1/2 cup or so
- minced ginger, 1/2 inch.
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- cooking oil
- spicy sauce (any kind would work)
- salt if necessary
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cooking wine
- 2 tbsp corn starch
*These have long shape instead of round shape. The difference is in the skin. The skin of chinese eggplant is very soft.
1. Marinate the pork in cooking wine and 1 tbsp of soy sauce
2. sliced eggplant diagonally
3. chop onions/ginger/garlic
4. Stir-fry the pork (10 min marinated is enough) in cooking oil
until they turn white, about 3-4 min stir frequently
5. sautéed green onion/ginger/garlic in oil for 1-2 min
6. add the eggplant and stir constantly to make sure it absorbs all the oil and mix well with the garlic/ginger/onion
7. Add soy sauce (1/4 cup), rice vinegar (2 tbsp), sugar, chili sauce (2 tbsp)
8. cook in high for 5 min and simmer at medium for 5 min.
You can see that the eggplant became tender and soft.
9. dissolve the corn starch in some water and add to the eggplant
10. cook another 1-2 min stirring and it’s ready! 🙂