I have to say I love being back to work! The logistic worked really well and my mind adapted to the working-mode right away.
Nice things about working:
1. Be useful to the world and find value of oneself other than being a mom. Of course being Sofia’s mom is a big thing and I am very proud of it. But make good use of what I’ve learnt by helping others (in a very indirect way) is also important to me.
2. Be with other adults. Staying at home for 4 months reduced my interaction with my adults to the minimum except with other moms. Although baby-talks are fun and were what I had in mind all the time when Sofia was a newborn, I need to think about something else at this stage. As weird as it seems, things I discuss with my colleagues are really interesting. Do I need to repeat how much I love my job?
3. Be more efficient. I planned the whole logistic of things weeks ahead of time. I nailed down to every 5 min for the morning routine because in the AM after I get up I need to pump, workout, nurse Sofia, change and get ready and step out before 8AM. I’m super efficient at work as well because I want to leave early (5:30pm) so I can be at home for Sofia’s night routine. I don’t take lunch breaks and I continue to work while pumping (3 times/day). The short amount of time I have for each thing made me super efficient and productive.
4. Feel accomplished. Having all things sort out, Sofia and work related, made me feel much more accomplished than when I was staying at home. I’ve always wonder those working moms how they balance life, work and their lifestyle once babies arrive. So far, I haven’t given up any of my pre-baby lifetyle and plan to continue for as long as I can. I think if you really want something, you will do it! If you were dragging doing it before baby, then with a baby you find the perfect excuse of not doing it. I have to admit that I’m extremely lucky to have my mom here helping out and I don’t worry much when Sofia is staying with her. Once she leaves, I’ll have to rethink how to do it.
5. Be more present when I’m with Sofia. I find myself enjoy and appreciate much more when I’m with Sofia, which is around 2hrs per day when i go to work. She keeps melting my heart when she “talks” to me while looking at me intensely. I wonder… is she looking because she wonder who’s this person that I haven’t seen in a while? or she looks because she missed me during the day?
How is Sofia doing without seeing me the whole day?
She’s doing great. She eats three times (10:30, 1:30 and 4:30) and takes good naps afterwards. Although it’s sad that she doesn’t seem to miss me much, I’m happy that she’s growing happily with my mom. Every night my mom tells me what new thing Sofia is doing and how cute that is. 🙂 I know I’m missing some of her milestones, but to be honest, it’s not as bad as I expected.
Last week was a short week. I only went to the office on Tuesday and Wednesday due to snow condition on Thursday (I had Friday off anyway), but I worked from 8-6 on Thursday at my home office.
I didn’t even take lunch break.
I had an delicious salad
romaine, cucumber, eggs, roasted sprouts, kale chips, all coated in Mama Pea’s mmmm sauce. love it! 🙂 The nice thing about eating salad at home is that I can pre-mixed it with the sauce; at the office, dressing is always on the top layers.
The nice thing about working at home is that I get to feed this angel
I will do a full day kind of post next week. 🙂