I’m officially half way through!!!!
I didn’t do a 19 weeks update because the past two weeks has been rough. My body was changing unexpectedly and I was contantly uncomfortable. What happened? I have no idea. All I know is that I was very bloated, constipated and was retaining water in my belly. Every night after dinner I’d feel so bloated that I couldn’t move around but lie down expecting that the next day I’d wake up un-bloated. But no, the next day the bloating continued and my belly was huge. I was feeling heavy as well so I weighted myself one day and I was shocked. I’ve gained 2-3 lbs overnight! Was it growth spurt? Was it water retention? If it was water retention then I’d have swelling feet and hands, but no, except for my belly which was huge, everything else was in normal size. The next day I’d go often to the rest room during the day and I’d feel a little relieved. But after dinner, I’d feel the same, and the cycle starts again.
That happened for about a week and I was concerned that something was wrong with my body. I’d never had a constant bloating like this before, not for so many days in a row. So I started playing with my food. I changed what I was eating at night. And after just few days, I was back to normal. No more water retention, no more uncomfortable bloating and no more constipation. I learned my lessons. No processed food, low seasoning, low sodium and extreme clean eating is the solution. I suspect that the growing baby is taking more and more space in the belly which causes slower digestion. Therefore all the food that needs to be digest takes longer that normal, a lot longer. And even then, if the food is processed or high in sodium, it refuses to digest it, and it gets stuck in my belly for days causing all the bloating.
I’m glad that I figured it out in a relative short of time and back to feel normal again. So, here’s the photo shots of normal 20 weeks size baby, not the 7 months
pregnant bloated belly I had for a week.
I did have a little growth spurt in the last week. Now the bump is noticeable
you can see the round shape even with the shirt on
and the bump is at the belly button height
see how round it has became?
How I’m feeling at 20 weeks
- Sleep: 8 hrs average (from 10pm – 6am usually)
- Cravings: none.
- Appetite/hunger. Due to the bloating, I have been eating smaller meals. I’d get full with less food and if I eat more, I’d feel uncomfortably bloated. So I’ve been eating smaller meals and more snacks. Still no extra hunger than before pregnancy. I’ve read so many women saying that they’re constantly hungry, or that after the first trimester, they’d savor food again. Nope, none of these applies to me.
- Exercise: Continue with jogging/incline walking/ellipticals. I also do arm and leg workouts for 15 min twice a week (separately), and once a week prenatal pilates for core work.
- Symptoms: other than constipation and bloating, I had a scary episode of low blood pressure. Last week due to the training course I was taking, I had to arrive at work before 9 AM, so I took metro instead of driving. One day the metro was really packed, we were literally one against each other, and no seating obviously. After few stops, I suddenly started to feel lack of breath, dizziness, nausea and cold sweating. I didn’t know what happened, but I thought I was going to faint if I don’t get out of the wagon. So I got off in the next station. When I got out, I had to sit on the floor. I was scared, very scared. I don’t know what was happening to me. It took me 1-2 min to be able to breath again and began to feel normal. I called Star and he came to pick me up at the metro, and drove me to work. It was not the first time I feel bad when I take metro, the lack of air and circulation makes me uncomfortable. But this time, I got scared because I was afraid that it has something to do with the pregnancy, so the symptoms were more intense. Later during the day, I did some research online and found out that during pregnancy, we are more prone to have low blood pressure, specially during week 20 (the lowest point). By nature I have low blood pressure (60/90), and being pregnant just makes it worse. On top of that, being in a close environment with bad ventilation can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure. I think that was what happened. Knowing the cause relieved me because now I know how to avoid it in the future and be more careful about it too.
- Other: my skin continued to break out, specially around mouse area. I think it’s also related to the bad digestion, bloating and constipation.
- Weight: +1 in the last two weeks, which makes 3 lb in total.