I meant to write this post for weeks because it was a realization to me.
If I ask this question to me 10 years ago, I’d say NOTHING! Obviously it’s not true, but I wanted to make others and myself to believe that I’m an independent person with my own thoughts and beliefs. It was one way to show that I was a mature adult.
If I ask this question to me 5 years ago, I’d say A LITTLE! It was the beginning of a journey to admit and recognize that many decisions that I make are influenced by others opinions. Not everyone’s, but people who I care about or I respect.
If I ask this question to me now, I’d say A LOT! I admit that and I am not ashamed AT ALL!
- After high school I knew I wanted to study economics in college but I didn’t know where. My BFF Mara told me to check out UCEMA. I went and studied economics there. I’m glad that I heard her because if I didn’t go to that school, I wouldn’t fall in love with economics and spend 10 years of myself into it.
- My decision to come to the US to pursue a Ph.D in Economics was influenced by a professor that I respect a lot. When I was lost after finishing college, I went to ask him what he thought I should do. Within 2 secs he said:” You should do whatever you want and you’ll succeed in whatever you decide to do. If you like corporate world, you should do a Master in Finance. If you like economics, you should go to US for a Ph.D in Economics.” And here I am, with a Ph.D degree in hand. I’m glad that I believed his words and myself.
- I always liked macroeconomics over microeconomics because the professors in macroeconomics were the best we had in UCEMA.
- My specialization for graduate studies is International Finance. It is highly influenced by the professors we have in Econ Department. They are the best economists in the field and what’s even more important, they’re the greatest persons I’ve ever met.
- My dissertation is about Financial Crisis. It’s an interesting topic but what influenced me the most was my advisor Carmen, the #1 female economist in the world.
- My workout depends on what classes my favorite instructor is teaching. Alex teaches cardio dance, kick boxing and spinning, so they’re in my weekly routine.
- As you can see in this blog, a lot of food choices and products are popular in the blog world, like these. If I don’t let others to have influence on me, I’d never try these, and I’m so glad I tried. 😉
Realizing that IT’S OKAY to admit that others have influence on me is a HUGE RELIEVE. Why? Because if not admit it, I was just consciously fooling myself. What a burden!
Q: What about you? What kind of things do others have influence on you?